Chips and salsa is one of our favorite snacks…any time of the year! So we decided we should probably test out a Homemade Smoked Salsa recipe on our pellet grill and see if we can recreate the same taste that we know and love, but with the delicious smoky flavor from our Camp Chef Pellet Grill. Today we present to you this delicious smoked salsa recipe, which we is undeniably the best smoked salsa recipe we’ve ever had (if we do say so ourselves). This salsa made on the smoker is as easy as it comes and all you have to do is cut up your veggies, smoke them, add some seasonings, and then puree to a nice chunky texture and enjoy! Let’s jump right into this Smoked Tomato Salsa recipe…
Homemade Smoked Salsa Recipe
Ingredients needed for this smoked salsa recipe:
- Fresh Garlic
- Fresh Lime
Start by chopping up your vegetables. For this recipe we used beefsteak tomatoes, but you can use whatever kind you desire. We also cut up fresh jalapenos, garlic, and onion to place on the smoker. Save the lime and cilantro for after the vegetables have smoked.
Lay down foil on the smoker and then place your vegetables directly onto the smoker and keep smoker temperature around 275 for one hour. We took one whole garlic head and wrapped it in foil with some olive oil to make a smoked garlic bulb for later…it’s so easy to make smoked garlic for future recipes!
Pull your veggies off the grill around the hour mark and let rest for a few minutes. Add vegetables to a food processor or blender with cilantro, seasonings, and lime juice and puree to your desired consistency. We prefer finer consistency, but you can puree to a chunkier consistency too pretty quickly.
Once pureed, take your smoked tomato salsa and enjoy it with tortilla chips or on your favorite mexican dish!
How to Smoke Tomatoes for Salsa?
Don’t be put off by smoking vegetables! They hold their juices easily and you only need to smoke them for about one hour to get the desired smoky taste that you know and love! We placed ours on foil and then on the smoker, but you can place directly on the grill grates too if you want a little extra charring!
Can you smoke tomatoes for salsa?
YES! And that’s what gives this Homemade Smoked Salsa recipe extra flavor that’s second to none!
How long do you smoke vegetables for salsa?
We recommend smoking for about 60-90 minutes for best flavor and consistency.
You may also like:
Easy Smoked Salsa Recipe
Homemade Smoked Salsa Recipe
- 4 jalapenos, cut in half length wise
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 2 heads of garlic
- 1 fresh lime
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- garlic salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Slice up your tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, and onion and place on foil on a smokerl preheated to 275 degrees. *Note: If you desire a less spicy salsa, use green bell peppers instead. If you like a spicier salsa, consider adding another spicy pepper to the salsa to give it some kick!
- Let vegetables smoke for about 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and let rest, then add vegetables, cilantro, seasonings, and lime juice to a food processor or blender and gently blend in 5 second intervals until you've reached your desired consistency. DO NOT OVER BLEND!
- Season to desired taste, we like a lot of flavor, so we add cumin, garlic salt, and pepper.
Pin it for later…