During the summer time (and even winter for that matter), one of our favorite go-to side dishes is Skillet Garlic Butter Red Potatoes. These garlic roasted red potatoes are such an easy potatoes recipe to follow and although we prefer to make them on the grill, they can easily be made in the oven too on bad weather days. All you need are three ingredients to make these garlic red potatoes and about 30-40 minutes of time depending on how large and thick the potatoes are. Ready to dive into this delicious seasoned red potatoes recipe???
How to Make Skillet Garlic Butter Red Potatoes
For this recipe all you need is three simple ingredients:
- garlic salt
- red potatoes
It’s that simple!
On our Camp Chef Smoker/Pellet Grill, we preheated the grill to 400 degrees and then placed a cast iron skillet with one stick of butter on top of the grill grate directly. Allow the butter to melt completely and then pull off the grill.
While your butter is melting, clean and slice your red skinned potatoes length wise and place in a bowl.
Once butter is melted in the skillet, tilt skillet until butter has coated all ends and then generously season with garlic salt. Place potatoes face down on the skillet to cook. If you have a marinade brush, gently use some of the butter in the skillet to brush the tops of the potatoes quickly for extra seasoning.
Once done, place on grill and close lid.
Cook on grill at 400 for about 30 minutes, checking frequently. Use a fork to determine if the potatoes are done or not.
Our family prefers the potatoes more on the well done side with a nice crispy finish, so we keep ours on longer, but if you prefer less crisp, check them regularly. Thicker, larger potatoes will take longer to cook.
Once the potatoes have reached the desired firmness and are golden brown, pull them off the grill and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Be sure to check with a fork to ensure the potatoes are done all the way through.
Finally, serve with your favorite meat and enjoy! We like to serve our butter garlic roasted potatoes with steak like in this post.
Skillet Garlic Butter Red Skinned Potatoes
- 1 stick salted butter
- garlic salt
- 1 lb red skinned potatoes, cleaned and slice length wise
- Clean and slice your red skinned potatoes length wise.
- Preheat grill to around 350-400 degrees. On a skillet, place one stick of salted butter and let melt, fully coating the skillet.
- Once butter is melted, generously season the skillet and butter with garlic salt (typically about 1-2 tbsp).
- Place potatoes face down onto skillet and then place skillet directly onto grill.
- Check potatoes around the 30 minute mark. Potatoes should be easily punctured with a fork and golden brown in color once done.
Pin it for later…